How to clear facebook share cache
Once in a while you might have noticed when you tried to share a news story from an external link into Facebook and realized that the auto populated data is not what it is to be. To be precise, when you tried to share a link in Facebook, there is no picture preview that is supposed to be and sometimes the description, title are not the same as it is. This is the problem of caching mechanism in Facebook. This article provides some insights and comes up with a solution of how to overcome this issue.
Usually Facebook parses some open graph tags as meta tags in the page. An open graph tag looks like:
<meta property=”og:tag name” content=”tag value”/>
These meta tags uses the values of the tags such as <og:image> in the share dialog box. If an image with same height and width is not specified, Facebook uses a random image from the shared link as a thumbnail display. So, once you share a page, Facebook caches its content for at most 7 days.
There are two ways to solve this issue. One, by using the Facebook debug tool and the other , by using the Facebook sharer link.
Using debugging tools
- Login into your Facebook account and go to https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug
- Input the URL you wanted to share on your profile or page wall.
- Click the “Fetch new scrape information”.
Using Facebook Sharer tool
- Login into your Facebook account
- Go to https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php
- Input the URL you wanted to share on your profile or page wall
- Click “Share” Button